The objectives of the meeting is to provide education and training for graduate students, as well as postdocs and faculty who would like to acquire sufficient knowledge to begin having an impact in research areas based on optics, laser science and related technologies.
The objectives are:
– Host an advanced research meeting by bringing together international and African experts and researchers, and giving them a state-of-the-art view of currently important research directions.
– Share information on new breakthroughs in the application of optics, photonics, and lasers to environmental and biological problems,
– Explore the commonality of interests and promote collaborations between international and African researchers, with special attention paid to promoting women in the research enterprise.
– Help establish joint research projects among different participating institutions.
– Enhance the international visibility and capacity of African science and technology.
The scope of the meeting is to highlight the importance of optics and photonics, their scientific study, and the application of light-based technologies for global development. Many topics of the conference sessions deal with present or future applications:
• Quantum optics,
• Nonlinear optics,
• Terahertz science,
• Photonic Metamaterials,
• Environmental applications,
• Industrial applications and material processing,
• Medical/Biomedical applications,
• Homeland security,
• Optical communications,
• Applications to education (Active learning),
• Other topics related to optics and photonics.
In addition some attention will be paid to bolstering career possibilities through professional development.