The ICO & IUPAP-C17 Topical Meeting on OPTIcs and Applications to SUstainable Development (OPTISUD) is organized by the Optical Society of Tunisia under the cosponsorship and endorsement of the ICO, IUPAP, ICTP, OSA, SPIE, and ALC. It will take place from 4 to 7 Sept. 2019 in Ramada Plaza Hotel Tunis, Carthage, Tunisia.
The objectives of the meeting is to provide education and training for graduate students, as well as postdocs and faculty who would like to acquire sufficient knowledge to begin having an impact in research areas based on optics, laser science and related technologies. The objectives are :
– Host an advanced research meeting by bringing together international and African experts and researchers, and giving them a state-of-the-art view of currently important research directions,
– Share information on new breakthroughs in the application of optics, photonics, and lasers to environmental and biological problems,
– Explore the commonality of interests and promote collaborations between international and African researchers, with special attention paid to promoting women in the research enterprise,
– Help establish joint research projects among different participating institutions,
– Enhance the international visibility and capacity of African science and technology.
The scope of the meeting is to highlight the importance of optics and photonics, their scientific study, and the application of light-based technologies for global development. Many topics of the conference sessions deal with present or future applications:
• Quantum optics,
• Nonlinear optics,
• Terahertz science,
• Photonic Metamaterials,
• Environmental applications,
• Industrial applications and material processing,
• Medical/Biomedical applications,
• Homeland security,
• Optical communications,
• Applications to education (Active learning),
• Other topics related to optics and photonics.
In addition some attention will be paid to bolstering career possibilities through professional development.
The Ramada hotel is located on the Tunisian coast, near the sandy beaches of the Côte de Carthage. It has an indoor and outdoor pool, a Hammam and fitness centre. All guest rooms at the Ramada Plaza Tunis are air-conditioned and have a private bathroom, balcony, TV and free Wi-Fi. Rooms also have lift access and guests can access the hotel 24-hours a day.
The hotel has 4 restaurants which offer a range of gourmet international cuisine and fresh seafood for lunch and dinner. Guests can enjoy snacks and relax with a drink in the hotel bar.
The Ramada Plaza Tunis is situated 18 km from Tunis and guests can visit the historic city of Carthage. There is also 18-hole golf course nearby.